Each year as fall begins, the number of flu cases increases. Because of this, a flu vaccine campaign is now underway in our Health Center. Staff and students wanting to get vaccinated can do so at both of the Center’s locations.
Staff members who have Mapfre Insurance will pay only 30 percent of the cost of the vaccine.
The flu vaccine is especially recommended for:
- Adults aged 65 and above (especially residents of rest homes),
- All children aged 6–59 months (especially those aged 6–24 months),
- Adults and children who have chronic diseases such as heart, lung (including asthma), liver or kidney disease, or diabetes mellitus or other endocrine system diseases,
- Adults and children whose immune systems are compromised: those having cancer or immune deficiency diseases such as AIDS or who have had bone marrow or organ transplants,
- Children and adolescents (6 months–18 years) who are on long-term aspirin therapy, which puts them at risk for Reye’s syndrome following the flu,
- Healthy people who might spread the flu to groups at risk: health-care staff, family caregivers, and child-care and rest-home staff,
- Women in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.