BY NAUSHERWAN AZIZ (MAN/II)
Name: Claire McIntosh
Department: Communications and Design/II
Country of Origin: Canada
1. What do you like best about Turkey?
It is a very beautiful country and it has a very rich and interesting history, but what matters to me most about anywhere I go are the people I meet. My favorite part of Turkey has to be all of the wonderful people I have come across here.
2. Are there any similarities between Turkey and your home country?
Though they’re on opposite sides of the spectrum, both have weather that sometimes puts to question my will to get out of bed in the morning.
3. What will you miss most about Bilkent/Turkey?
All of the cats and dogs running around everywhere.
4. What’s your favorite place on campus, and why?
Anywhere with grass and shade so I can people-watch or nap alongside the campus cats.
5. What’s your favorite Turkish food/favorite part of Turkish culture?
I love how Turkish food isn’t afraid of mixing carbohydrates, like, yes, please put potatoes in my bread. It’s just wonderful.
6. Where do you expect to see yourself 10 years from now?
Somewhere warm and leading a life that never feels stagnant.
7. What’s the hardest challenge you’ve handled in Turkey?
Probably talking to my hairdresser – I don’t have a lot of Turkish and he has very little English, so last semester I ended up with very blue hair. It was cool; I would definitely color my hair something wild again, but let’s just say I’ve had to relinquish control somewhat. I did get to feel like a mermaid, though, and who doesn’t want that?
8. What cities have you visited in Turkey? Which one is your favorite?
My favorite city in Turkey has to be İzmir! It’s so beautiful and vibrant and full of life, and the sea makes everything better.
9. Do you have any hidden talents?
If I told you, they wouldn’t be hidden.
10. What’s an interesting question or comment you hear frequently at Bilkent/in Turkey?
People often ask me what made me choose to study in Turkey. I’ve also had to explain to people multiple times “what you even do in COMD anyway.” I think most of them are still confused.
11. Describe yourself in three words.
Outgoing, strong-willed, intuitive.
12. If you could master any skill, which one would you choose, and why?
I would love to be able to pick up on languages really quickly. Obviously it would come in handy, and it would also be funny to catch people off guard with some really fluent Turkish, maybe by my fourth year.