Apply for Your Vehicle Sticker On-line!
On-line application for vehicle stickers for the 2007 - 2008 academic year is now possible through SRS. This means no filling in forms and no line-ups! Just log on to SRS, click on Traffic Operations and follow the directions.
We would like to draw your attention to a few points concerning applications:
1. In order to apply for a vehicle sticker, the system requires the driver information first. Therefore, if SRS does not recognize you as a driver, it will ask you for your driving license information. Have your driving license handy before logging on.
2. If you have no vehicles previously registered in your name, you will need to enter your vehicle license information. Have your vehicle license handy before logging on.
3. If you are already a registered driver at Bilkent, the system will be checking your violation points. If you have been suspended from driving on campus, you can not renew your sticker until you attend the next orientation program and pass the test at the end of your suspension period. Visit the website www.traffic.bilkent.edu.tr for details.
4. Even if you have more than one vehicle previously registered in your name, you may apply for a vehicle sticker for only one of these. Remember that stickers for a second vehicle are only granted under very special circumstances at the discretion of the Traffic Committee.
5. If you wish to apply for a sticker for a vehicle other than that already registered in your name, you must apply to the Security Office and clear the vehicle you will not be using before you can register the details of another vehicle.
6. Taking into consideration the large number of students in the English Preparatory Program expected to apply, the vehicle sticker application system has been prepared using Turkish for the time being (the English version will follow shortly). We therefore request our international students who wish to apply for a vehicle sticker, but who do not understand Turkish, to apply to the Security Office (Main Campus, FEASS Building, Room Z-51) and fill in the necessary forms.
Stickers for the previous academic year will be invalid as of 15 October. So log on to SRS and put in your application today! You do not want to be stuck without your sticker.
And finally, we wish all members of the Bilkent community a happy and successful academic year.
Bilkent University Traffic Committee
PHYS Student wins a much Deserved Award!
Betül Pamuk, a senior student in the Physics Department, has won 2nd prize (and $2,000 American) at the 1st International Physics Festival and Inter-University Physics Projects Competition (September 4-6, Bodrum) organized by the Balkan Physical Union. Betüls project, which obviously impressed the judges, was able to determine the distribution of CdS quantum dots (tiny spheres) by analyzing the spectrum of light they emitted.
Rumi Rises Like the Sun over Bilkent!
Bilkent University will be celebrating the 800th Birthday of Mevlana Jelaluddin Rumi on September 30th. To mark the occasion, UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) has issued a commemorative medal in honor of the great humanist, philosopher and poet.
Bilkent University will celebrate the occasion with a presentation entitled "Rumi Rises Like the Sun." It will honor the life of Rumi, and all proceeds from the night will go to UNICEF's "Haydi Kızlar Okula" campaign. The program will begin with a dramatic performance on Rumi's life, presented by Yıldız Kenter and Prof. Talat Halman. The poems and miniature paintings of Rumi will be presented, with simultaneous translation, so both English and Turkish speakers can enjoy the proceedings. The event will continue with the music of Şefika Kutluer on flute, backed by the Bilkent Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Rauf Abdullayev. The celebrations will come to an end with a Sema Ritual.
Tickets for "Rumi Rises Like the Sun", to be held at the Bilkent Concert Hall at 3 p.m., Sunday, September 30, can be purchased on campus, at Dost Kitabevi (Kızılay, Kavaklıdere, Ankuva), Beymen (Arjantin Caddesi) and Diapason (Kavaklıdere) for 15 YTL. For more information, call ext.1775 or ext.2280.
Sera De Vor (AMER/III)
The Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture is proud to present "Pastiche. Mona Lisa with a Moustache." This must see exhibit presents the work of Polish photographers who put a contemporary artistic twist on well-known masterpieces. You will never look at great works like "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci, "The Luncheon on the Grass" by Edouard Manet, "Marilyn Monroe" by Milton. H. Greene and others in the same way again. The show runs October 4th to the 17th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., in the Bilkent University Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture exhibition hall.
For more information, please contact Curator Edyta Michalska at email@example.com
Also in this issue:
Bilkent News Interactive is best viewed by 800x600 resolution.
You can send comments, questions, etc. about Bilkent News Interactive by clicking this link.