Bilkent to Confer Honorary Doctorate on Pascal Lamy, WTO Director-General
Bilkent University will be conferring an honorary doctoral degree on Pascal Lamy, the director-general of the World Trade Organization.
Pascal Lamy is the fifth director-general of the WTO. His appointment took effect on September 1, 2005, for a four-year term. In April 2009 WTO members reappointed him for a second term, starting on September 1, 2009, and continuing until September 2013.
Mr. Lamy is also a political advisor in France, a businessman and a former European commissioner for trade. In addition, he is honorary president of the Paris-based think tank Notre Europe.
The ceremony will take place in Mithat Çoruh Auditorium on Friday, March 15 at 11:30 a.m. All students, as well as academic and administrative staff members, are invited to the ceremony.
- Conferral of the Honorary Doctorate
- Address by the Director-General of the World Trade Organization
- Closing (approximately 12:30 p.m.)
"Genç Bakış" Forum Broadcast Live From Campus
Photograph by Gülay Aydın (GRA/V)
BY EFE ÜSTÜNKAL (IR/IV)
One of the best-known TV talk shows in Turkey, "Abbas Güçlü ile Genç Bakış," was held at Bilkent University last week on March 7. The show was broadcast live from Mithat Çoruh Auditorium with the support of Atatürkçü Düşünce Topluluğu. The format of "Genç Bakış," presented each week from a different university campus, highlights the views of Turkish students on topics of current interest.
Due to the recent discussions in both Turkish politics and the media about the concept of nationalism, last week's program gave a historical perspective to the topic, focusing on nationalism from the Ottoman Empire up to the present. Prominent historian Prof. İlber Ortaylı, who formerly taught at Bilkent, answered questions from presenter Abbas Güçlü and the audience regarding the concepts of nation, nationalism, nationhood, the nation-state and racism.
The broadcast started live on national TV channel Kanal D at 12:30 a.m., with the event attracting one of Mithat Çoruh Auditorium's largest audiences ever. The program opened with Mr. Güçlü introducing the topics to be covered, the guests and Bilkent University.
The issues surrounding the historical roots of nationalism in Turkey were discussed in depth by Prof. Ortaylı, who gave highly informative responses to the questions and comments from the audience. This included the Bilkent students present in the auditorium as well as people from all over the country, who participated via telephone
Stick Around, There's More From the Career Center
The career-related activities organized by the Bilkent University Career Center for 2012-2013 are continuing at full speed. Please mark the following events on your calendar in order to keep up with opportunities that will help you prepare for the future.
1. Be sure to register for the Letter of Intent Writing Workshop scheduled for Thursday, March 14 at 5:40 p.m. in the FADA Building, FFB-06. The workshop is being organized by the Career Center and the Faculty Academic English program. You will be provided with materials beforehand. Please call the Career Center at ext. 2486 or 2624 to register.
2. One of the most important upcoming events is the Career Fair. Around 40 company representatives will be participating in the 15th annual Bilkent University Career Fair, to be held on March 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Main Sports Hall. If you are eager to get information regarding job and internship applications, you should definitely plan to attend the Career Fair.
3. TSKB (Türk Sınai Kalkınma Bankası) representatives will be on campus for a Corporate Company Day on Wednesday, March 13. TSKB is the first and the only Turkish-owned investment bank offering job and internship opportunities for you. The day's program will be as follows:
Wednesday, March 13, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., in the entrance of the Faculty of Fine Arts and Architecture Building, F Block
Company Executive Conference on Sustainability
Wednesday, March 13, 12:30 p.m., in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Architecture Building, F Block, FFB-22
Some of the topics that will be covered at the Executive Conference include:
Sustainability and Economics, the Sustainability Agenda of the Business World, Sustainable Banking, TSKB's Insights on Sustainability